Creativity through the forest
A unique course delivered in our brand-new outdoor woodland theatre, combining outdoor learning and immersive cultural experiences. The Conway Centres’ Outside Arts provision is more than moving indoor activity outside: we have created a learning space rich in natural finds to inspire your students’ exploration of the environment through the arts.
The group will take part in something quite unique for an Arts course; a Canoe or Kayak session on the incredible Menai Strait. One of the most iconic waterways in the world, with the stunning Snowdonia mountain range and coastline as a backdrop, we use natural environment on and around the water to form the base of the course. Whilst on the water, the group will be encouraged to observe and experience the surrounding landscape to inspire their individual and collaborative responses during the remainder of the course, heading back into the woodland to re-create what they have seen and heard through immersion in the creative performing arts for their final piece.
- Art: Absorbing all the sights and sounds of the environment around as you collect materials along your journey to take back into the forest and recreate what you have seen, mapping the scenery and natural environment in a unique piece of Art, which may only last for the duration of the session, or your stay.
- Drama and Dance: As well as looking at all of the inspiring scenery and nature out on the Menai Straits and around our centre, listen to the sounds as you travel before moving back into the woodland and explore the relationships between the sky, the earth, the water, and all they contain.
- Music: Listen – the sounds you hear can become a unique piece of music. We will draw upon recreating natural sounds and rhythms, using gathered materials well as carefully selected percussion instruments to build texture, mood and form back in our woodland space.
|Travel from school to the centre||
Meet your Tutor: A Dérive to explore the outdoor spaces, discuss the overview of the course based on your selection of Art, Drama, Dance or Music and agree individual and group goals.
Teamwork activity based on your course selection topic.
Tour of our woodland learning base and creation of your workspace for the course, including finding natural materials for seating, tables, work areas and other natural finds that will inspire you
|A Canoe or Kayak session on the Menai Straits||Work from our woodland learning base to recreate what you have seen and heard on the Menai Straits. Part of this session will also include collecting materials from the Forest to help build your piece of Art, Drama, Dance or Music.||
Work from our woodland learning base to develop what you have seen and heard on the Menai Straits
|A final session to build your piece of Art, Drama, Dance or Music before presenting in front of your group in our woodland learning base, highlighting your learning outcomes||Travel from centre to school||Arrive Home!|
- 2 nights’ accommodation
- All course Activities and materials.
- Full board basis catered to all your group’s individual dietary requirements.